Monday, January 4, 2010

Another tidbit on lowering Grocery costs

I wanted to share another tidbit with you about lowering grocery costs, which I have been doing for the past couple of months.

I write down every single item we need and then shop off the list. BUT, say we need peanut butter. I will not buy it until I have a coupon and it's on sale, so it stays on my list (sometimes for weeks) until I can buy it cheap. It's not something that we must have at that very moment, not like say milk or yogurt. It's something that can wait until there is a good sale and then I stock up on them. When I say stock up, I don't mean 1 or 2, I mean as many as I have coupons for. So, I might buy 6 peanut butter jars at once.

I know what you are thinking, 6??? How can we possibly eat that much? Well, the expiration date is usually a year or so from when I buy it, so we do eat it all. It's also a very good item to donate!

No comments: