Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday Treat Day


Yum, time for some treats! I was hesitant at first to try to make homemade soft pretzels. We go to Roots and get them there and they are so wonderful. But, they are expensive. So, I broke down and tried them. I'm trying to omit, as much as possible, white flour from our diet, so this is a delicious homemade whole wheat pretzel. It was so easy to make, even rolling them and making them into pretzel shapes was super easy. My husband even did it! Next time I will boil them longer and make them smaller, they really rose after we shaped them!

Here is the recipe:

1 cup warm water
1 package of dry active yeast
2 tsp. honey or brown sugar
2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
3 cups water
2 tbsp. baking soda

1. Stir yeast & honey into warm water and dissolve for 10 mins.
2. Combine flour, olive oil, salt and flour into a mixer.
3. Add yeast into the flour mixture and knead for 10 mins.
4. Cover bowl and place in a warm spot and let rise for 1 hour.
5. Knead dough for 30 seconds and replace in bowl to rise again for another hour.
6. Remove dough and form into pretzels and lay on baking sheet.
7. Let dough rise again for 30 mins.
8. Bring 3 c. of water and baking soda to a boil.
9. Boil pretzels for 1-2 mins, flipping half way through and place on baking sheet.
10. Add salt if desired.
11. Bake pretzels at 475 degrees for 10-12 mins.

This recipe made 10 pretzels, but like I said next time I would make them smaller because they really doubled when we let them rise after we shaped them. I would say they would make 14-16 nice sized pretzels.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never made Pretzels, I love to make bread and I don't know why I have never tried pretzels. I love the idea of the whole wheat and no all-purpose flour.
I have become a follower of your blog, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
THANKS!!! for the GREAT!!! recipe.
Geri