Monday, September 14, 2009

Cutting Food Costs

One way my family cuts costs at the grocery store is eating one or two vegetarian meals per week. My husband is a total meat and potatoes kind of guy, but I have found some recipes that he really likes and doesn't miss the meat at all. One of them, we had last night.

Butternut Squash Soup.

We took a trip on Saturday to an Amish furniture store and next to their store, there was a farm selling produce (mainly pumpkins--for $1.00 each!). They had Butternut Squash, which I had just bought at Giant for $.79 lb. Guess how much these were? $1.00 each and they are bigger than the ones I got at Giant! So I bought 2 more and made soup last night (actually just with 1, it made so much!). I figured it probably cost us about $.95 a serving because I also made a small homemade whole wheat pizza because I had to use the cheese before it went bad. We will get 5 servings from the soup and 2 servings from the pizza. Let me tell you, it was a hardy meal!!

Do any of you have a vegetarian meal you would like to share?

No comments: