Friday, September 18, 2009

My Saving Story Part 2

Shopping a multiple stores.....HUH?

I know what you are all thinking...I don't have time to shop at one store, let alone 3 or 4. I used to think the same way, not to mention there are times I hate to go shopping! But, one major way I have found to save money is to shop the sales, not the stores.

Now, if you are still thinking you can't do one more thing in your schedule, just continue to read. If you haven't read my coupon article yet, please do because what I'm about to tell you will hopefully save you time and money!

Here's my routine: Once I make my list (grocery and otherwise), and clip my coupons from online and the Sunday news, I review the sales. I tend to look at Giant, CVS, Walgreens (Wags), Rite Aid, Family Owned Markets, Weis, SKH and Target. (WHAT? Yep, I look at them, but most of the time I go to about 4 stores in 1 week, and depending on our situation, I might only go to 1 store.) Now, I go back to my list and coupons and do match ups. I write a list for each store I want to go to and then I file the coupons that I need for that store in my coupon organizer. I probably have 10 items or less on each stores list, it will be different each week and different for everyone (I have a 3 person family). Knowing what I need ahead of time and organizing my coupons really saves me money at the store (plus I don't get sucked into buying items we really don't need) and once you get your own system, it won't take you long to organize your coupon match-ups!

I know what you are saying, "I'd rather just shop at one store than go all over the place, I'd rather pay for the convenience of it." I used to think that way too. I never thought I'd be one of these people making multiple trips to the store or mall, but I saw the results. It's worth my time to save $60+ a week in groceries a lone. I honestly spend no more than 20 mins in each store and you don't have to go to the most beautiful Giant or the biggest Weis. Sometimes, the stores I need to go to are within a mile from each other, so I just go to those places because that will save me more time (not to mention gas)!

One other thing I do: Sometimes, stores will offer a high value coupon, such as $10 off $50 or 40% off one item. I don't spend over $50 because I will go back and use another coupon to get another $10 off my purchase because I stockpile (I will write more on this). If the coupon is for 1 item, I only purchase 1 at a time. Sometimes you will get a nice cashier and they will let you split your order so you can use 2 coupons, so it doesn't hurt to ask and if you don't have time to go back to the store, just get back in line!

Still skeptical? Just try it for a few weeks to see if this will work for you!

Do you have any great tips? If so, please share them with us!

No comments: